san juan cruise learn
Learn while Exploring the San Juan Islands
Sailing + Learning + Adventure
Explore a world-class sailing destination while training with local and veteran instructors Capt. John and Kathleen Salinas on Alethea.
The 3-day course departs from Friday Harbor, explores the San Juan Islands and students train with some of the best instructors in the NW. This is a truly unique sailing opportunity to sail, cruise and learn:
- 3-day small-group Cruise & Learn in the San Juan Islands
- Earn ASA 104 certification with TWO veteran and top-rated instructors.
- Explore the San Juans with experienced and local sailors intimate with the area.
- Gain confidence and skills with "big boat" sailing, anchoring and navigation challenges.
- Enjoy the best of what NW sailing offers: sailing, kayaking, hiking, whale watching, and more.
The San Juan Islands
With literally hundreds of marinas, islands and bays to explore, the itinerary is infinitely amendable. The Salinas’ work with the guests to plan an itinerary that best fits everyone’s expectations. And, cruising is incomplete without time for relaxation and exploration: hiking, biking, wildlife viewing and kayaking…. Sailing and anchoring overnight in the San Juan’s offers a unique opportunity to immerse oneself in the natural and human history of the area. We often find ourselves in the presence of a pod of Orca whales or sailing past a group of Stella Sea Lions perched on an isolated rocky shore.
After a day a sailing, while anchored in one of the many harbors, conversations turn toward the early explorers, the history of the natural resources, and the possibility of an evening or morning hike on the nearby trails which take us through 100+ year old native trees. With John and Kathleen (both science educators) your sailing certification course becomes a field study of the Salish Sea!
Some favorite spots include:
- Anchoring near Rosario resort for a tour, hike, swim, concert and ice cream.
- Beachcombing along the sandy stretch at Spencer Spit
- Whale watching along the southwest side of San Juan Island
- Hiking to Turn Point Lighthouse on Stuart Island
- Spending a cozy evening watching the sun set at tranquil Otter Bay
- Kayaking around smaller islands Sunset watching from secluded harbors
Price: $900 per sailor
- 3 days Small Group Instruction
- Basic Provisioning Included
Students can optionally stay aboard the night before or after: $50/night (depending on availability)
Additional Sailing Days:
Do you want to sail longer and further explore the San Juan Islands? If available, students may be able to sail additional days for $200/person/day.
HAVE A QUESTION?
Simply contact us and we will get back to you shortly!